Skip to main content

Error occurred in deployment step 'Install app for SharePoint': Sideloading of apps is not enabled on this site

If you are starting to develop Apps for SharePoint or Project Server and you encounter the problem where you get the following error message:

 Error     1     Error occurred in deployment step 'Install app for SharePoint': Sideloading of apps is not enabled on this site.             0     0     SharePointApp_01  


It is usually because the site you are developing against is not a SharePoint development site. The easiest way to solve the problem is of cause to create a new SharePoint Development site.



However this is not always possible and you might have a lot of content on your site you want to test against. Furthermore if you are creating a Project Server App I have not found a way to create a Project Server Development site.

Convert SharePoint (and Project Server) site into a Development site
This can simply be done through Powershell. To be able to run Powershell agains online you will need to download SharePoint Online Management Shell.

The Powershell script you need to run is:

 $programFiles = [environment]::getfolderpath("programfiles")  
 add-type -Path $programFiles'\SharePoint Online Management Shell\Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell\Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.dll'  
 $siteurl = 'https://MyTenant.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa'  
 $user = 'admin@MyTenant.onmimcrosoft.com'  
 $pass = ConvertTo-SecureString -String 'password123' -AsPlainText -Force  
 [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext]$cc = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientContext($siteurl)  
 [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SharePointOnlineCredentials]$spocreds = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.SharePointOnlineCredentials($user, $pass)  
 $cc.Credentials = $spocreds  
 $site = $cc.Site;  
 $featureDevSiteUid = new-object System.Guid "AE3A1339-61F5-4f8f-81A7-ABD2DA956A7D"  
 $site.Features.Add($featureDevSiteUid, $true, [Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.FeatureDefinitionScope]::None);  
 $cc.ExecuteQuery();  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Error occurred in deployment step 'Add Solution': Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Received this error today when trying to create a SharePoint solution against a newly created site.


My first problem was the site was configured to use a port which was already used by another web site. Therefore the site could not start at all.

In my case both Default Web Site and SharePoint - 2000 was both using port 2000. Changing the port of Default Web Site and I was able to start the site.

However now I still received the same error message. When browsing the site I realized I did not have access to the site.

Giving access to my user and I was able to deploy the solution.

To sum up this post:
 - Check the site can start
 - Check the site can be browsed
 - Check your user have access to the site

SharePoint 2013 : Cannot connect to the targeted site.

On my Contoso environment I was trying to create a sandboxed solution. I have already configured my app domain and app management services. But when I tried to validate the site I got the following error message.
Error

Cannot connect to the targeted site. This error can occur if the specified site is not hosted on the local system. SharePoint solutions work only with locally-installed versions of SharePoint Foundation or SharePoint Server. Remote development is supported only for apps for SharePoint 2013.
If you search around the internet you will find many people suggesting to change your host file from 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP.

Solution However the solution, at least on a Contoso environment, is to type in the actual IP address in the host file.
(the IP 192.168.150.1 is the special IP for Contoso, I have 2 network adapters)
And do not forget to clear/flush the DNS cache. Now the solution can be created and validates.


PowerShell results size unlimited/truncated - $FormatEnumerationLimit/Width

Ever experienced the problem where you run a Powershell command and you cannot see the whole result because the result is truncated.

Problem: If you for example run the Test-SPsite command you might see something like the following:


Site : SPSite Url=http://atlas/pwa Results : { SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Conflicting Content Types" RuleId=befe203b-a8c0-48c2-b5f0-27c10f9e1622, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedWarning RuleName="Customized Files" RuleId=cd839b0d-9707-4950-8fac-f306cb920f6c, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Galleries" RuleId=ee967197-ccbe-4c00-88e4-e6fab81145e1, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Parent Content Types" RuleId=a9a6769f-7289-4b9f-ae7f-5db4b997d284, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedError RuleName="Missing Site Templates" RuleId=5258ccf5-e7d6-4df7-b8ae-12fcc0513ebd, …