Skip to main content

MS SQL Server Query Performance

Our company have a rather complex add-in to Project Server. For some time we have been struggling with performance issues and no matter how much we tuned the SQL procedures, after some time they would always become slow in a production environment. 

Today I came across a tool in SQL Server Management Studio which very easily can pinpoint which queries are running slow. In our case we discovered that one query was very slow and slowed all other queries.
This tool is called Activity Monitor and is build into most versions of Management Studio.
Note: Activity Monitor requires SysAdmin permissions to be used.


The tool is very simple to use. Simply open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to your database.

  Click on the Activity Monitor icon.

Here you will see a number of sections showing different information about the server.  Overview shows IO, wait time, etc. Processes shows information about which processes/connections is using the server. Resources Waits can tell you where a potential bottleneck is. Data File I/O is shows which databases is using a lot of IO.

However, the one I find really interesting is the "Recent Expensive Queries". This tells you which queries are running slowly. The database, average process time, etc.
In a production environment it was very easy to pinpoint where our problem was.
Only regret is, we did not know about this tool earlier.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Error occurred in deployment step 'Add Solution': Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Received this error today when trying to create a SharePoint solution against a newly created site.


My first problem was the site was configured to use a port which was already used by another web site. Therefore the site could not start at all.

In my case both Default Web Site and SharePoint - 2000 was both using port 2000. Changing the port of Default Web Site and I was able to start the site.

However now I still received the same error message. When browsing the site I realized I did not have access to the site.

Giving access to my user and I was able to deploy the solution.

To sum up this post:
 - Check the site can start
 - Check the site can be browsed
 - Check your user have access to the site

SharePoint 2013 : Cannot connect to the targeted site.

On my Contoso environment I was trying to create a sandboxed solution. I have already configured my app domain and app management services. But when I tried to validate the site I got the following error message.
Error

Cannot connect to the targeted site. This error can occur if the specified site is not hosted on the local system. SharePoint solutions work only with locally-installed versions of SharePoint Foundation or SharePoint Server. Remote development is supported only for apps for SharePoint 2013.
If you search around the internet you will find many people suggesting to change your host file from 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP.

Solution However the solution, at least on a Contoso environment, is to type in the actual IP address in the host file.
(the IP 192.168.150.1 is the special IP for Contoso, I have 2 network adapters)
And do not forget to clear/flush the DNS cache. Now the solution can be created and validates.


PowerShell results size unlimited/truncated - $FormatEnumerationLimit/Width

Ever experienced the problem where you run a Powershell command and you cannot see the whole result because the result is truncated.

Problem: If you for example run the Test-SPsite command you might see something like the following:


Site : SPSite Url=http://atlas/pwa Results : { SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Conflicting Content Types" RuleId=befe203b-a8c0-48c2-b5f0-27c10f9e1622, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedWarning RuleName="Customized Files" RuleId=cd839b0d-9707-4950-8fac-f306cb920f6c, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Galleries" RuleId=ee967197-ccbe-4c00-88e4-e6fab81145e1, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Parent Content Types" RuleId=a9a6769f-7289-4b9f-ae7f-5db4b997d284, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedError RuleName="Missing Site Templates" RuleId=5258ccf5-e7d6-4df7-b8ae-12fcc0513ebd, …