Skip to main content

MS Project Cannot Change Start Date (2007/2010/2013/2016)

Jumping Start Dates

Start date always jumps back to specific date in MS Project plan when you try to change it.
This is an issue I have not seen before, but to be honest it is a long time since I last touched a project plan.

Problem
Whenever I try to change Task 03 to something earlier then the 26th. The date is just resets to 26 without any explanation.

Reason
The reason is that there is a binding on the phases. Most likely with a lag of minus some days.

This binding forces the task to not being able to start earlier than the phase start.

Now this is somehow obvious, it becomes more comeplex if the task have an actual start date (if a team member have reported time on the task through Timesheet or MyTasks).
In this scenario the phase appear to start on the 23th. However, it actually starts on the 26th.
Now I cannot move new tasks within the phase before the original start date of the phase (the 26th).

This makes sense, but from the Gant Chart it is not very clear,

Solution
Well, if you understand the problem the solution is simple.
Remove the binding from the phases, In fact this is not a real binding anyway, because the task actually started at a time where it sould not be possible.

Or you can ask your team member to register his time at another date. This is of cause only a solution if the team member did not do the work at the reported date.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Error occurred in deployment step 'Add Solution': Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Received this error today when trying to create a SharePoint solution against a newly created site.


My first problem was the site was configured to use a port which was already used by another web site. Therefore the site could not start at all.

In my case both Default Web Site and SharePoint - 2000 was both using port 2000. Changing the port of Default Web Site and I was able to start the site.

However now I still received the same error message. When browsing the site I realized I did not have access to the site.

Giving access to my user and I was able to deploy the solution.

To sum up this post:
 - Check the site can start
 - Check the site can be browsed
 - Check your user have access to the site

SharePoint 2013 : Cannot connect to the targeted site.

On my Contoso environment I was trying to create a sandboxed solution. I have already configured my app domain and app management services. But when I tried to validate the site I got the following error message.
Error

Cannot connect to the targeted site. This error can occur if the specified site is not hosted on the local system. SharePoint solutions work only with locally-installed versions of SharePoint Foundation or SharePoint Server. Remote development is supported only for apps for SharePoint 2013.
If you search around the internet you will find many people suggesting to change your host file from 127.0.0.1 to the actual IP.

Solution However the solution, at least on a Contoso environment, is to type in the actual IP address in the host file.
(the IP 192.168.150.1 is the special IP for Contoso, I have 2 network adapters)
And do not forget to clear/flush the DNS cache. Now the solution can be created and validates.


PowerShell results size unlimited/truncated - $FormatEnumerationLimit/Width

Ever experienced the problem where you run a Powershell command and you cannot see the whole result because the result is truncated.

Problem: If you for example run the Test-SPsite command you might see something like the following:


Site : SPSite Url=http://atlas/pwa Results : { SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Conflicting Content Types" RuleId=befe203b-a8c0-48c2-b5f0-27c10f9e1622, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedWarning RuleName="Customized Files" RuleId=cd839b0d-9707-4950-8fac-f306cb920f6c, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Galleries" RuleId=ee967197-ccbe-4c00-88e4-e6fab81145e1, SPSiteHealthResult Status=Passed RuleName="Missing Parent Content Types" RuleId=a9a6769f-7289-4b9f-ae7f-5db4b997d284, SPSiteHealthResult Status=FailedError RuleName="Missing Site Templates" RuleId=5258ccf5-e7d6-4df7-b8ae-12fcc0513ebd, …